I hope you enjoy reading and learning about the Tasmanian Devil. Keep reading my entries to find out all the things I have learned!

Monday, May 20, 2013

DTFD

DFTD, as I started talking about in my last entry, is not good in the slightest.  I've looked at some websites and it's not very pretty (you can probably see that in the picture).  If you have a weak stomach I suggest you stop reading now.

DFTD or Devil Facial Tumor Disease - I don't say the full name because it's too long - is a fatal cancer and there is no known cure.  The cancer is first seen in and around their mouth in the form of a small lump.  These grow into huge lumps on the face and neck and sometimes even on other parts of the body!

DFTD is really strange because it is one of three cancers that spreads from person to person (or in this case should I say Devil to Devil) like a contagious disease.  The disease is passed from devil to devil through biting, mating and eating from the same carcass.

Another strange thing is that DFTD is found in only certain parts of Tasmania.  In different parts of Tasmania the Devils seem to be healthy. 
     
Devil Facial Tumor Disease (I can't believe I survived writing that) has mainly affected adult Devils - males seem to be affected first, then the females - though younger Tassie Devils can be affected as well.  Animals will die within three to six months after the first lumps appear.     

In February 2010, Devil Facial Tumor had spread across more than 60% of the State.  Tasmanian Devils that have DFTD find it hard to eat which means that they die of starvation or their bodies break down. 

Scientists  have been trying their hardest to find a cure for this awful disease but haven't succeeded yet.  But they had better hurry because DFTD is wiping out Tasmanian Devils fast.  Since the early 1990's the population of Tassie Devils in the wild has decreased by 80%!!!

Experts are making sure that a big group of Tasmanian Devils will survive no matter what.  They are doing this by quarantining healthy Tassie Devils - this means they put a group of healthy Devils in an area where they can't mix with any other Tassie Devils.  These Devils are being used in a special breeding program called the Insurance Population.

Read my next entry to find out how you can help.  .  .  .  and only 4 days to go until Black and White Day!!

2 comments:

  1. The DTFD sounds like a bad disease. I'm sure one day someone will find a cure for it. I am enjoying your blogs. We are going to Dar so won't be here for Black and White Day :(
    Love Amisadai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you still wear black and white in Dar!!??
      t

      Delete