I hope you enjoy reading and learning about the Tasmanian Devil. Keep reading my entries to find out all the things I have learned!

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Reproduction

I have to talk about reproduction only because I found information on it and not because I'm interested in reproduction.  I'm not . . . in the slightest!  However reproduction really is important and without it there would be no more Tassie Devils.

The Tasmanian Devils mate mostly during March and May.  There is a lot of growling and screeches and even biting.  So if you are reading this from Tasmania and you hear screeches and growls it could be a couple of Tassie Devils!  Tassie Devils mate at any time of the day or night.  

After about three weeks of pregnancy the baby Tasmanian Devils are born.  They are called  joeys, like baby kangaroos.  When the joeys are born there are up to 40 of them and they are TINY - only the size of raisins!!. The first second of life and they're off- trying to get to mums pouch where there are four teats - the first four to get there are the only ones to surviveIt's really sad that about 36 die!  They stay in the mother's pouch for about 4 months and they are weaned usually when they are about six months.  After two years the joey is able to have his or her own kids.     


 










No comments:

Post a Comment