I hope you enjoy reading and learning about the Tasmanian Devil. Keep reading my entries to find out all the things I have learned!

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Habitat

I've been thinking a lot about the habitat lately and I've found out a few interesting things.  OK, here goes. . . Tasmanian Devils live all over Tasmania especially in the north west and eastern regions.  People have found fossils of Devils all over the mainland of Australia and so they know that they used to be found in all of

Australia but it is believed that dingoes wiped them out on the mainland.  Tassie Devils usually live near farms (or even under farm houses) because there is a lot of food nearby for them to eat - and for this reason the Tassie Devil isn't a favourite neighbour of the farmers.  



Tassie Devils are commonly found in rainforests, range land, rural areas, scrub lands, coastal moorlands and woodland forest.  They live in dens, similar to  wolves and foxes.  They usually make these in old wombat burrows, thick vegetation, caves and hollow logs.  They can have 1-3 dens (within 20 square kilometers) which they use each night while hunting.  During the day, Tassie Devils stay in their dens and go into a sleepy state called torpor - so they can save their energy.



Devils are very picky about how their homes look.  They are always cleaning out their homes (or nests) and replacing old dirty leaves with fresh leaves.  I had no idea that they would prefer neat homes - I like my room neat but it doesn't stay neat for too long though!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment